Our History

Historical material held in the Archives dates back to around the 17th century, with maps, documents, drawings and photographs chronicling the history of Hemsted House. The site on which the School stands is of great historical interest as both the parkland and woodland are mentioned in the Domesday Book: “Robert of Romney also holds Benenden [Benendine] from the Bishop of Bayeux”. Benenden had become sufficiently permanent by 1086 to have both a name and a church.