Benenden is nationally regarded for the standard of its Lacrosse. We are fortunate to have an incredible 18 Lacrosse teams, each of them competing in regular fixtures and the Kent tournament each year.
Many teams also compete in the National Schools Tournament, at which Benenden has an outstanding track record of success. Our First team were 2017 Champions - the same year that our Thirds also won their tournament. In that same year, our First team were also Vivien Jones League winners.
The teams have lesson time, practice time and often extra fitness and stickwork sessions and are coached by a number of highly experienced coaches:
- Catherine Gaunt is a goalkeeper and represented England for 10 years
- Lucy Lynch was an England midfielder and represented her country for over 16 years. Lucy was the first England player to receive 100 caps
- Kate Steel has taught at Benenden since 1983 and represented England from 1980-1985
Benenden Lacrosse teams are frequently crowned County Champions across the age groups and a number of girls across the School are in the England Regional and National Academy.
Many Benenden Seniors have gone on to International representation, here are just a few!
- Sarah Sweerts de Landas Wyborgh was the top goal scorer at the World Cup in Prague in 2009 with 29 goals.
- Camilla Hayes won Gold with England at the European Championships in 2012 and 2014 and represented England at the 2017 World Cup in Surrey.
- Alex Carnegie-Brown and Sophie Sweerts de Landas Wyborgh won Bronze with England at the 2007 U19 World Cup in Canada.
- Alex Carnegie-Brown was assistant coach of the U19 England team that won a bronze medal at the 2015 World Cup in Scotland. She was on the coaching staff for the senior England team that won bronze at the 2017 World Cup in Guildford, Surrey.
- Isabel McNab represented England at the 2011 U19 World Cup in Hanover and represented the senior team at the 2017 World Cup.
- Laura Beaman joined the England Development Squad in 2015.
In addition to the Lacrosse Nationals success highlighted above, Benenden won the tournament at U15 level in 2004 and 2009 and gained silver medals at Senior level in 2013, U15B level in 2012 and U13 level in 2013. The First Team won the Division 1 title in 2013 and 2014.
Benenden had a successful Lacrosse and Netball tour to the USA and Australia in Summer 2015, and to the US and Barbados in 2018.
Our All-Weather Sports Pitch means that the girls' training time is not restricted by weather conditions and the accompanying 320-seat pavilion and stand enables pupils, parents, friends and family to see Benenden achieve even more success!