Since December 2008 Benenden has been working in partnership with the Diocese of Canterbury, Kent County Council and Christ Church University to establish a 3-18 Academy in Stanhope in Ashford.
The John Wallis Church of England Academy opened its doors to students on 1 September 2010. The partners have added a Sixth Form to the Academy and have brought in a local primary school, Linden Grove, under the Academy umbrella. The rationale for getting involved in the project is quite straightforward: though we can help a small number of comparatively disadvantaged girls through our Bursary scheme, here we have the chance to help to transform the life chances of 1,200 students year after year after year. And that is no small thing.
The principal attribute that Benenden can bring to the relationship is a sense of aspiration. However, this is a reciprocal and mutually beneficial relationship. Benenden pupils and staff drive the relationships and both derive a great deal from their sustained and growing involvement with fellow pupils and colleagues from the Academy.
How we work with The John Wallis Academy
We work in a variety of ways with John Wallis, some examples of which are listed below:
- The Heads of both Schools sit on one another’s governing bodies
- We provide the academy with help on policy scrutiny and strategic planning
- Joint working between Heads of Departments at both Schools to share best practice
- Shared life drawing classes with the academy
- Critical Language day event
- Shared mock exam papers with the academy
- The academy visit us to carry out practical work
- Share resources with them at A Level.
- The academy Year 12 students looking at Medicine are invited to Medical Society Fridays
- Share resources on essay writing skills
- Support the possible transition to AQA at A Level
- Six One Mentoring of the academy pupils
- Sharing of skills
- Shared planning playing to each department’s strengths
- The academy perform at the Dance Show as part of the Benenden Arts Festival
- The academy cheerleaders performed at the opening of Benenden's All-Weather Pitch and Pavilion
- Regular invites to events
- Offers of Oxbridge and Personal Statement support
- Sharing of Benenden’s Careers and HE Bulletin
Combined Cadets Force (CCF)
- Weekly CCF sessions